The first step to choosing your keywords is to find out what people are searching for on the internet relating to what you do – the service that they look for information on more.
Check for the most searched for keywords on roofing here on our website using this link: 150 of the most commonly searched roofing keywords.
Some obvious keywords you would use include:
- “Your city” roofing contractors
- “Your city” roofing
- “Your city” roofing companies
The not-so-obvious keywords include:
- Metal roof installation.
- Roof replacement service.
- Commercial roofing contractor.
- Emergency roof repair
- Asphalt shingle roofing companies
Some other keywords that reflect services you may want to show up for:
- Gutter installation
- Storm damage restoration contractor
- Window replacement
- Siding contractor
- Insulation contractor
The best way to get the most out of these keywords is to map out the top 20 keywords people type when searching for your services. And then categorize them into services and sub-services.
The 2 Aspects of search Engine Optimization
For you to rank top in those organic and map listings, your website must be strategically and efficiently optimized. To accomplish this, you would have to carry out on-page and off-page SEO.
- On-Page SEO: You cannot rank in Google maps listings without on-page optimization. Google needs to understand the type of service you offer and where the service is being provided. You achieved this by creating pages of content optimized for strategic keywords and cities where you do business.
- Off-Page SEO: Google needs to know that your site is trustworthy, powerful, and authoritative, and that’s what off-page SEO accomplishes. To do this, you need to get high-quality links from other websites linking back to you (your business website, that is). Your business also has to be listed on major directories as well as local sites. If this is accomplished, Google will rank you higher.
Note: Off-Page SEO isn’t the most important for Google ranking, contrary to what most SEO experts believe. While this can be true for organic listings, it is not for Google map search.
On-Page SEO is much more critical for local SEO, i.e., local searches which appear in Google map listings.
We found out that what works for a successful local roofing business is 70% on-page and 30% off-page.
How To Optimize On-Site SEO For Your Roofing Business
You must optimize every page on your website for the cities and services you are targeting. Map these search terms to specific pages. For example,
Keyword mapped to which page
Roofers > your city home page
Roofing companies > your city home page
Metal roofing > metal roofing page
Roof repair > roof repair page
Roof replacement > roof replacement page
If keywords represent the same service, they should all be on the same page. For example, keywords such as “roofing” and “roofing contractor” can be mapped to your homepage.
After mapping out all the pages, find ways to optimize and write valuable content on your site. Below are some steps to guide you.
Step 1: Build Out Your Pages Of Content On Your Website.
To dominate your competition and become an authority in the roofing business, you’d have to do more than create just a Home page, contact us page, service page, about page, or insurance claims page on your website.
Most of the roofing websites we have built over time have had over 100 pages with quality information in them.
Most roofing contractors also offer other roofing-related services such as siding, insulations, gutters, and so on. Google will get to notice your site if you create different pages for the various services you offer and the city where it is provided.
Below is an example of a contractor’s site that offers different services:
- Homepage –About us – Services – Contact Us – Reviews – Insurance Claims.
- Main Service Page – Roofing (homepage), roof replacement/ repairs, metal roofing, asphalt roofing, residential roofing, commercial roofing, EPDM rubber roofs, TPO roofing, Built-Up Roofing.
- Secondary Service Page – Siding, vinyl siding, LP SmartSide, metal siding, James Hardie siding.
- Secondary Service Page – Gutters, seamless gutters, copper gutters, gutter guards.
- Secondary Service Page –Damage Restoration, fire damage restoration, water damage restoration, Storm damage restoration.
- Secondary Service Page –
Step 2 – Optimize Each Page for Proper Search Engine Optimization
Once the content has been built for each service page, On-Page SEO work is ready to be conducted. It is a crucial part of your roofing business success story.
Some critical items you need to take care of for on-page SEO includes:
- Title tags, which should be made up of your keywords and city. Your brand name should be in your title tag on your homepage.
- Meta description is a description of what your page is about. Use good copy and numbers to get clicks from search results.
- H1 Header tag tells what your service page is all about.
- Your subpages URLs shouldn’t look spammy but should contain your primary keywords.
- You should embed YouTube videos that relate to your services.
- You should also include
- internal links connecting pages.
- Content should be sub-divided into H2 and H3 to make it easy for visitors to read and search engines to understand.
Optimizing Title Tags
Metal tags are essential parts of every page, and it needs to be optimized for the keywords you want to rank for. It describes to Google what the page is about, and is what visitors see before clicking on your site. Examples of an optimized title tag include:
Emergency Roof Repair Service Chicago, IL | Call 773-333-333 Now!
This title tag includes in it the main keywords and the city as well as a call to action to enable people to call immediately. This trick works all the time.
Optimizing Meta Descriptions
Meta descriptions come up directly under the title tag in Google search results. It often gets ignored by most website owners, so Google fills in whatever they feel like in that space.
Meta descriptions aren’t direct ranking factors and don’t pass on any message to Google about your page, but it would help visitors learn about your web page. If properly optimized, your click-through rate would increase. There’s a good example shown below.
Looking for a Minneapolis roofing company that you can trust? Prominent Construction, LLC is the #1 rated roofer in the Twin Cities. See our 200+ 5 star reviews. Get a FREE estimate Now!
This is the headline on a page. There should be only one per page.
The idea behind it is to just repeat the main keywords in the form of a sentence, such as “Chicago’s #1 Rated Roofing Company”.
No one is excited about reading a wall of text on a page, and so each page’s content should be divided into subheaders. This enables users to skim through your page to find what they want with ease. It also allows you to incorporate other synonym keywords in headers to help with on-page SEO. So long it is reasonable, you can have multiple H2 and H3 tags on one page.
Examples include, “Read our 5 Star Reviews”, “We Offer an Industry Leading 50 year Roof Warranty”, and so on.
Keyword in URL of Page
Your keywords should be in your URL if it is a service page. To rank up for roof repair, your URL should be either website.com/services/roof-repair or website.com/roof-repair/. This is greatly dependent, however, on how your page is structured.
Images and Videos
Relevant images (preferably, images from previous jobs you have done) should be included in your page’s content. The alt tag describes your images to search engines. Ensure you’re not spammy with your keywords when you include them in it. Yes, you should include your keywords.
Videos from services should also be uploaded on YouTube and embed on your page. Rakings increase most times by having related videos inserted on pages since Google owns YouTube.
Quality and Well Written Content is Key
Your content needs to be remarkable and well written if you want it to convince readers on your page. Your visitor needs to be convinced of why you are the best option for the job.
If you must rank for roof repairs in your locality, then you have to create a specific page for it on your website with the inclusion of images, proper headings, title tags, and so much more.
Roofers lack storefronts because they are service area businesses that go to their customers. If you want a chance to rank in google search results outside of your business location’s city, you should create additional pages such as “location pages” or “city pages.”
Just be sure you don’t repeat content on any of your pages. Changing the name of the city in your pages while repeating the content will harm your efforts. Google is smart enough to know.
SEO for Roofers: The Best Way to Make Your Business Visible Online
A roofing SEO campaign that is expertly executed generates lots of traffic and adds to the growth of your roofing business from the internet. It helps make your brand an authority in the roofing business. It increases the number of customers that contact you.
SEO campaigns do take some time to produce results, but the wait is worth your while. At Roofer Marketers, our team of expert SEOs don’t just work on your campaigns, but they know how to handle your competitors. We know the roofing business like we know the back of our palms.
You get a free Audit and Strategy Session when you contact us. We also provide you with a blueprint of how our system would make your brand rank top in the roofing business industry in your local area and generate enough leads for you.